Mace to the Face Part 2- [Flail] – Brigitte Lindholm Shieldmaiden Cosplay

Time to paint.

For materials used, see Part 1 here.

Brig 3


Step One – Base Coat

I ended up putting on a base coat of black spray paint just to even out the colouring (especially with the crazy craft foam colours) and give a steady base to work off of. I took it out to my spray box and gave it a single coat – that was enough.

Step Two – Priming

From there I used mod podge and coated the whole thing to prime it properly. This step was invaluable. For the few sections I missed, it wasn’t as easy to paint.

Step Three – Painting

I then ended up going through the motions of painting. This is my favourite part of any cosplay – I really love painting. It’s difficult to say how I managed it, since most of the time colours and shading are purely instinctual for me. However, here are some tips:

  • Always have a reference photo on hand to look at
  • Have a good palette of black and white to add for light or darker shades
  • Start with a grey/white base coat and add layers to build up texture
  • For the metallic aspects, mix a matte colour similar to the shade of metal you want, then add the tinted, sparkly stuff afterwards for a great sheen. Gold or silver paints can end up being super thin.
  • Make your brush life longer by making sure you don’t leave them in water – wash them when you’re finished with them, and have a dedicated brush for your primers or glue-based products.
  • Add in plenty of shading and highlights. The Highlights make a huge difference to your piece.

Overall, this took me roughly two days to paint from start to finish. So many tiny details with the etchings meant there were a lot of little areas I missed and had to go back over.

The tiny details are my favourite part – little streaks of white, and tiny bits of highlight. I always do this step last.

Step Four – Top  Coat

To add some strength to the handle, because I didn’t prime the Worbla with mod-podge, I ended up actually putting on a top coat of it instead. This worked pretty well.

Step Five – Leather Grip

The final touch for this weapon was the handle grip. It was easy enough to craft. I made a template using scrap foam to get the correct length and width, and left around an inch of seam allowance round the edges for the piece of pleather I cut.

I put a bit of wadding within the pleather to give it some extra bulk; it also made it super easy and comfortable to hold as well, rather than the pleather by itself. Then I simply hand sewed the grip together.

I added in the eyelets, which honestly were really inconsistent with the kit I bought. Some were perfect, and others I had to adjust a little on the back with pliers. Either way, it had the desired effect.

Once this was done, I actually painted some fine detail around the edges to highlight the seams similar to the model. Fine line in brown paint – super easy, but made it pop in the end.

Then I attached on a scrap piece of cord through the eyelets and laced it shut. I glued everything into place so it wouldn’t slip, and ended up coming out with a pretty neat design overall.


So there it is – the finished product. *Edit: I did actually go back and add in some more little details that I’d forgotten about – whoops!*

35298616_10156339913251904_6631951433744777216_n.jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: